Trever’s Fairmont has been a constantly evolving project. Originally purchased in Phoenix, Arizona and then driven back to Michigan, it’s a super-clean specimen that is nice to work on due to its rust-free condition. Since a Fairmont isn’t your everyday run of the mill Mustang, he decided to do something different when picking an engine/transmission combination. A 32-valve modular V8 was fitted under the hood along with a 4R70W Automatic transmission.
LambdaTuner has built a custom engine harness and installed the Baumann Optishift transmission controller as well as created a custom transmission wiring harness. Extensive care has been taken to ensure the car has an “original” look to it both from the exterior, under the hood and in the interior (the stock column shifter gets lots of comments). We have also tuned both the engine calibration and transmission shift points so this car starts and idles like a stock vehicle and gets fuel economy around 25 MPG. The car is fun to drive and reliable as it’s regularly driven to the track, car shows and grocery store.
Below are a few of the modifications done to this vehicle:
- 2003 Mach1 32-Valve all aluminum engine
- 4R70W electronic overdrive transmission
- AJE Racing tubular K-member
- Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Struts & Shocks
- AEM 30-1900 Universal Race Engine Management System
- Baumann Optishift transmission controller
- Re-worked factory column shifter to work with 4R70W transmission